Monday, September 1, 2008

Waste Management of the Desert

Dick Kelly wanted curbside recycling for Palm Desert. Dick called me (John Lavender - then vice president of Waste Management of the Desert) to meet him for breakfast the next day at John's at 6:00 a.m. Before we could even order coffee, Dick learned across the table and said, 'I want curbside recycling in the city of Palm Desert within 60 days from today.' I responded, 'Dick, that's almost impossible because we have to order the containers, etc.' Dick said, 'I want the city to be recycling within 60 days. I know you can do it.' We had curbside recycling in 59 days.
Palm Desert was one of the first cities in California to initiate curbside recycling. When Dick Kelly wants to get something done, he does it! From my experience, Dick is one of the most forceful politicians with whom I have ever worked.
John Lavender
Retired Vice-President of Waste Management of the Desert

No comments: